Established in 1848, St. Patrick Church has the distinction of being one of the Diocese’s first parishes. A Catholic presence had been established in Weston by 1820. Many were Irish and German immigrants who had labored on the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike.
Rev. Michael Gallagher of Pittsburgh visited them until Rev. Austin Grogan was sent to Weston in 1845. He was responsible for serving all the Catholics in central West Virginia. On May 9, 1846, Father Grogan purchased Lots 9 and 10 on the east side of High Street for the sum of $100. Work began on the red-brick, two-story building in 1847. It was completed in 1848 and dedicated to Ireland’s patron saint, St. Patrick.
The church was free of debt upon completion due to the generosity of the people without regard to religious affiliation. To accommodate a growing Catholic population, Fr. Daniel O’Connor, who arrived in Weston in 1861, purchased Lot 6, 7, and 8 on the east side of Court Avenue. The new church on Court Avenue, directly facing East Second Street, was completed in 1878.
The current church, located on Center Avenue, was built under Rev. John J. Swint in 1914. The parish has operated two grade schools (1855-1878; 1914-current) and a high school (1918-1973).
The Sisters of St. Joseph served at the parish and the school from 1914 until 2008.